Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Roadside Americana #2- Fresno Motel

Fresno Motel
Oil on Masonite 8X10

This is the second painting in my Roadside Americana- Vintage Neon series.  I am doing some in watercolor and some in oil.  Hopefully, I will be able to decide which media I like best for this particular set.  Maybe both, depending on the sign.  I am doing this same sign in watercolor now, so I will be able to compare.  
This particular motel sign is still visible from the freeway in Fresno.  I see it often when I am driving into town.  The funny thing is, I used to just ignore these awesome signs.  I guess I just didn't think they were going to start disappearing.  There is an awesome old neon sign that I drive by several times a week here in Ventura.  The Wagon Wheel Motel (actually in Oxnard).  The sign remains and I have taken photos, but the motel was long gone before I moved here.  It will definitely be on my short list of signs to paint and I hope to get to it soon!

4 comments:

  1. That's a very cool angle for the sign, and a great piece of artwork! I love those old nostalgia signs too, and the labels from products. You could do a series of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl, you did an awesome job on this sign. It looks marvelous. Will be interested to see the wc version and compare the two. I started out in oil but have focused mostly on wc for the last few years. Every once in a while I get the notion to pull out my oil paints... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Teresa-
    I haven't finished the WC version yet- set it aside for a while. I think this may be one of those paintings that works better with oils. We will see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to capture these novel old-fashioned signs. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!