Friday, August 20, 2010

Postcards from Paris






A few years ago, I was lucky enough to spend a couple weeks in Paris! My husband was going on a business trip and I was able to go along. He travels constantly, and usually I am not tempted to go with him. Some of the locations just aren't interesting enough. This time, I loved the destination- and my sons were already grown and out of the house. He had asked me to go on many of these business trips, but leaving 2 high school boys home alone for more than a day or two- need I say more?
Paris is a beautiful city with lots to see and a lots to paint! While my husband was in meetings, I ventured out and took pictures for future paintings. Our hotel was quaint and small and located perfectly a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower. It was on the Rue St. Dominique and VERY nearby were the Seine with the Pont Alexandre, Rue Cler, and the Eiffel Tower! I had so much fun walking around, and as long as I kept the Seine nearby, I figured I couldn't get too lost. I spent a day at the Rodin Museum- highlights being "The Thinker" and "The Gates of Hell" (a bit creepy, but a fascinating work of art). The food was awesome! Patisseries and boulangeries everywhere (like delis on Long Island-every corner). When my husband was not working, we definitely went all over and saw even more- The Louvre and Jardin des Tuileries, Notre Dame, Champs Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, and everything in between!
While we were there, I also mailed some watercolor postcards I had painted of some of my favorite places in Paris. I mailed them home to a few of my favorite people. I had seen an article in one of my watercolor magazines about an artist who did that wherever he travelled and loved the idea! The French woman working at the post office thought I was crazy when I insisted on putting the stamps on the painted side, but I figured I would never see her again anyway.. I had done a similar thing with our vacation to Italy, except didn't have the postcard idea until we were home. That time, I painted from our photos and had my wonderful son (who was stationed at Aviano airbase in Italy) take them to his post office in Italy. So, I didn't mail them myself, but still got my postcards!
Since that vacation, I often go through the gazillions of photos I took and find new ones to paint. Between the photos from Italy and the ones from Paris, I will be painting from them far into the future I am sure.
Thanks for looking!
Sheryl

6 comments:

  1. They're really lovely!
    So do you go away on every business trip now - I would :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pat! I pick and choose my trips- some places just aren't that interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such lovely artwork here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The postcard idea is wonderful. These are lovely little paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just showed your postcards to my husband and he says he likes them, too. He said he especially likes your colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!