Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Stalled Watercolor- "Rooster and Roses"


This is the cookie jar we grew up with, and then it spent more than a few years up in one of my mom's cupboards. I don't know why, but I really love the design. I googled it (of course, how else do you find out anything?) and found out there was a whole dinner set and it was made in the 50's. The cookie jar was a wedding gift, she didn't collect any of the other pieces. I don' know if its the bright colors, or what- but I really wanted to paint it. The watercolor has been fun and so far, trouble-free. My problem now is what to do with it at this point. I know I will need shadows to help ground it, and a table or tablecloth maybe (the reason for the extra space under the cookie jar), but don't want to do that until I am sure what I want to add. I guess I am afraid that I may ruin it when I add other elements and a background. That is my kind of thinking- I have gone this far and I still like the painting, so something bad may be only a brush stroke away! Any ideas? I keep changing my mind on what other things to add- like a table cloth, fruit, cookies, or what? I will paint something else or maybe several other "somethings" while I ponder how to continue with this one.
Thanks for looking!
Sheryl

12 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Sheryl! Congratulations!

    WOW!!

    Ciao!
    Francesco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning so far!
    I can see why you're worried - but because you've painted it so far up the paper, it does need something underneath it. Unless you crop the white paper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheryl,

    Your painting is beautiful! I empathize with your position (to background or not to background) because I often end up there myself! A couple of things that helps me decide: Place a piece of tracing paper (I prefer Canson for its clarity) over your painting and then draw your idea on the tracing paper. You can see how it will affect your original. Use colored pencil if you want to see colors. You could also use Photoshop (or whatever photo editing software you prefer) to try out some possible backgrounds without having to paint on the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody! Theresa, I like the tracing paper idea!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the tracing paper idea too! I'm thinking it just needs to be grounded with a simple indication of a table. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, I thought I was the only one who got paralyzed for fear of ruining a painting.

    I like your cookie jar and I'd probably go with something simple for the background, maybe a suggestion of countertop and some cooking utensils. Maybe a few softly focused cookie cutters on the counter in front of the jar? I like the tracing paper idea too. Happy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Gretchen!
    Thanks for visiting, Beth and I love your cookie cutter idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hung up on a tea pot. I'm hung up on pastries. Looking at mine, I just need to forge ahead on that icing. Looking at your,more careful consideration is called for. For what it's worth: I see a partially dainty tea cup on saucer in the background with some cookies--plain, small biscuit types on the white on white damask cloth. The cookies are the same tan as the handle on the tea pot--maybe chocolate chips or butterscotch? I really just dropped by to say thanks for following my blog and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kim!
    Linda-Welcome and thanks for the suggestions! I have been working on it! I just don't want to start over (never as much fun as the first painting) and am not in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. It IS so fun and happy! I think it would be fun to have cookies and maybe the ingredients to make cookies. Because I love cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Crystal!
    I was thinking cookies and cookie making things would be good, too!
    Right now I am on a painting break, trying to get the house decorated for Christmas and I have a LOT of decorations (my favorite time ).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!