Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Kitchen floor mural










Living in California, earthquakes happen.  My kitchen has gotten a long hairline crack down the length of the floor.  The floor isn't very old and I am definitely not ready to tear out all of those travertine tiles just yet.  I am not new at using paint to camouflage things like wine stains on the bar top, and now cracks in tile.  It is kind of a joke in our house that if something needs hiding, I just paint a starfish on it.


I was a little nervous at first, since this isn't just a starfish- it requires more paint and more commitment.  What if I hate it?  How difficult would it be to scrape off?  When I paint a mural on a wall, I am not worried in the least since I can just cover it up.  Well, I decided to just do it.  

I started with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I have used this paint on many surfaces and have found that it definitely covers well.  I painted my sand color and then the blue base for the water and now I am too far along to quit.  I will post more photos as it progresses.  I have painted on my floor before but on a smaller scale.  I used clear sealer over it and no matter how much traffic it gets, the original crab I painted on my staircase landing still looks good!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogging, Sheryl! So far, I LOVE this! I've never tried painting on anything other than paper, canvas and windows. This looks like fun! I'm looking forward to seeing more photos as you make progress. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour ma chère amie,

    Juste un petit coucou afin de savoir si tout va bien pour toi et les tiens... Prends bien soin de toi !

    🌿🌸Mille bisous 🌸🌿

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!