Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sand Dollar Trio- Original Watercolor


9X12 watercolor on 140 lb. cold press

More beach watercoloring- I can't seem to help it with our winter staying in the 60's and 70's.  It just feels like summer! I walk 3-4 miles by the beach every morning and have many photos to paint from.  I feel like I need to paint something different, but this is what motivates me these days.  Soon, I will move on (at least in temporary spurts) and mix in other painting subjects.  I am going to take my artistic motivation wherever I can get it- and these days, it is the beach!  These sand dollars were really fun for me to paint since I really get caught up in the tiny details- that explains all the grains of sand I added. The main challenge for me was to use a light hand to shade these sand dollars- to keep them light in color, but not completely white.

4 comments:

  1. they are beautiful Sheryl, love the detail you have put into the.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I am glad the beach inspires you because I love your beach paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl these are amazing! While I do like 'color', I am really drawn to the peacefulness that these sand dollars say to me - just lying patiently on the beach until someone (like you) takes notice.

    I'm also amazed at how you painted them with very little color and yet you conveyed so much detail. Very nice! They make me want to drive over to the beach (Santa Cruz) for the day .... but then I hear 'weekend chores' calling me back.
    Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your beach walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You succeded perfectly in your intent, this watercolor is really lovely. And how lucky you are with the warm weather and the beach !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!