Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Works in Progress- Two New Watercolor Sketches


I think you can see why I needed to paint this wine label!


The castle design on this cork is exactly why I love to paint corks!

I am in the mood to paint corks again and chose these as my latest.  When I saw the label on the wine bottle I just had to buy it- didn't even care if the wine was going to be good, or not!  As an added bonus, the wine was very tasty! The wine is a Petite Sirah from Michael-David and another good one from the many available nearby in Lodi, California.  I loved the colorful, fun label and there is even an elephant on the end of the cork.  You might be getting the impression that we chose our wines because of the label art, but that is not exactly it. The label may be the reason I pick up a bottle in the first place, so it does matter. The cork is always just a pleasant surprise if there is a good design since you can't see it until you uncork the bottle.  As artists, we all have our favorite subjects to paint- and wine corks just happen to be interesting and fun to me!
  


8 comments:

  1. OK, so now when I shop the latest vintage of wine, I will be looking at the labels in a whole new artistic light! Can't wait to see these finished, you have done such a nice job with the details of these drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria! Yes, there are so many cool labels out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I shall be looking at my cordial bottles in a new light :)
    Looking forward to seeing this finished, Sheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'adore les étiquettes des bouteilles de vin... et depuis quelques temps j'ai découvert aussi à savourer le contenu... et j'apprécie particulièrement les bordeaux pour leur tanin.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wine label is beautiful and the cork quite upscale. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pieces--you know, you're going to have to drink the wine now that you don't know what it is anymore. Enjoy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Pat! I like that the wines taste great and also make nice painting subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merci, Martine- I also enjoy both the labels and the content of the bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, L.W.- don't worry, I enjoyed the wine also!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!