Monday, July 25, 2011

Stained Glass Window- In Vintage Window Frame






I haven't been painting for a few weeks, due to all the packing and pre-relocating craziness.  I did, however, get a chance to go to the stained glass studio and finish up my latest project.  I started learning stained glass a few years ago and have completed many windows and even a lamp shade- but this was my first project using lead instead of copper foil to construct the window.  I wanted to learn the process of working with lead since it is quite different. I have some old window frames at home that I have kept for this reason- stained glass.  Some of the window frames are from when we replaced all of our windows on Long Island.  My husband continuously tries, with no success, to get me to throw them out.

The first steps are the same as in the copper foil process- making the pattern and cutting the glass pieces.  Then, starting in one corner, I put my first 2 sides of the window (zinc strips) in and start working my way out from the corner.  One piece at at time, I fit the glass in, and cut the lead came strips to fit.  The glass pieces were all ground on the edges with the grinder, but often need more grinding to fit properly.  The glass pieces and came strips are kept in place with horseshoe nails as I go, to keep the window true to the pattern underneath.
The central design with the bevel pieces was simple since they came cut out already- more difficult to fit in sometimes, but already finished edges.
I chose to use clear glass for most of the design- the bevels, and 2 different patterns of clear (glue chip, and a ribbed border).  The outside border is blue streaky glass. 

I love the finished window and, for now, it will just stay on the easel since I am moving and don't need to decide which window to hang it in.  Since the old window frame it is framed with is a beach house window, it is fitting that it will be so near the ocean again.  Working with lead was a fun process, and I definitely plan to do more of these! 

22 comments:

  1. You have golden hands!
    Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dora- I loved your photos you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's good at everything she does!! Looks beautiful, Sheryl. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa- you are too nice! Thanks- and I LOVED that mural!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Le travail des vitraux m'attire toujours irrésistiblement et cependant je n'y ai jamais touché... Faire jouer la lumière et la couleur... au gré de la fantaisie.
    Gros bisous et merci de nous montrer votre beau et magnifique travail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a BEAUTIFUL window!! It will be a delight to sit in the room where this will hang and enjoy the sunlight illuminating it. I've always had a fascination with stained glass windows that use a lot of clear (uncolored glass). This is wonderful. It is super special with the old window frame too! Great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love stained glass windows. You did a great job! Tell your husband to leave your stash alone :)Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. How interesting! That looks like so much fun. I love to be creative in as many different ways as possible too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bevels and the blue glass you chose for this panel. Great job, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheryl, what a great artwork! Amazing! I bet it is much tougher than painting in watercolors ;)
    I've just finished Art History of Medieval and Renaissance class at my college and we learned about stained glass Rose Windows of Gothic Cathedrals. The idea of stained glass windows was to bring more light of the Divine into people's lives. Sure enough only Church and rich families could afford to have that beauty.
    You truly achieved the Divine presence in your art.
    Thank you so much,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much- Connie, Katherine, Irene, and Irina! I truly appreciate your wonderful comments, just been busy packing to move and not keeping up with checking the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Irina-
    Surprisingly, it isn't tougher than watercolors- and you can make changes and fix mistakes much easier than those on our watercolor paper!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning craftsmanship, Sheryl. This is a real beauty xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is gorgeous! And how interesting to see the behind the scenes photos. I've always been a little in awe of stained glass work because it looks so complex! And you have to use tools and heat I assume!! Takes lots of skill.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crystal-
    Thank you! With your artistic talent- and your ability to produce some of the most beautiful watercolors I have seen- stained glass would be a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful design! I've seen many other creations before, yet this one surpasses 'em all. To think you've been experimenting all this time! That would look great as a window for the front door - a welcome sight for visitors!

    Shania Fargo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!