Friday, January 27, 2012

Scallop Shell Trio Watercolor

Scallop Shell Trio- 9X12 on 140 lb. cold press

I am in a beach painting state of mind lately, and the shells and beach glass are getting me back in practice.  I decided that the easiest way to get back to painting would be with the simple objects- and beach finds are something I have in abundant supply.  The variety of colors and all of the little details make for good practice without a lot of pressure to produce a perfect painting.
These scallop shells are from Long Island- Fire Island to be specific.  Walking the beach on Fire Island is amazing when you are a serious beachcomber.  One beach has mostly clam shells, and a mile down the sand, there are zillions of scallops.  If you are having a GREAT day, you find some beach glass to add to your sandy treasures.
I found a new beach today(new to me) that was beautiful, but not much in the way of shells.  Right in the shadow of Mugu Rock, next to Point Mugu Naval Base.  I found a few pretty little shells and 4 pieces of beach glass.  A little extra exercise to add to my 3 miles at sunrise- along with some nice photos made it a good trip.  Who knows? Maybe a future painting in one of those photos.


12 comments:

  1. I shouldn't have looked... now I'm longing for summer! Your shells are exquisite! Wow! And how fun to discover a new beach! I can only imagine the thrill that would be. If I go out walking here, I might be lucky to discover a new house being built in a once-empty lot, where lovely grasses waved in the wind 'neath tall stately trees.... (sigh) Looking at your gorgeous beach art makes me feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scallop shell painting. Your post makes me want to move closer to a beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Katherine- I am happy that I could bring you a little bit of a beachy feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Irene- I'm glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting Sheryl and I too have beach envy, hope you are doing well and look forward to seeing more of your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another neat painting of scallop shells. I have to admit that I have a soft heart when I see '3' of something ... comes from being the mom of 3 kids I think. You have captured quite a bit of dimension in the texture on the surface of these shells.

    I'll be interested to see what comes of your new beach treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Claire! You will be happy with some of my next ones then- I seem to be gravitating towards trios of things in my paintings this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria- thanks! Glad to be back into this little art world we have, and enjoying looking around at what everyone is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. J'aime me retrouver aussi sur les plages à la recherche de beaux coquillages ...
    Une très jolie peinture.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful sheryl! what a wonderful series of threes! visiting your blog is like a day at the beach! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!