Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Watercolor- Miner's Hat Drive-In



The Miner's Hat Drive-In opened in Kellogg, Idaho in 1941 (according to my Google sources). It was originally a small drive-in restaurant shaped like a giant miner's hard hat- complete with huge carbide mining lamp. It closed in 1962, and I don't remember ever eating there- but it was an important landmark to us anyway. Both of my parents came from small mining towns in northern Idaho and we spent many summer and Christmas vacations there. We drove to Kellogg annually, to see our grandparents and that over-sized miner's hat was our sign that we were almost there. It also meant one less "Are we there yet?" from the back seat.
After The Miner's Hat closed, it became a real estate office (around 1967), but changed very little in appearance. I love to look at old postcards, and came across one from around 1955 showing the little roadside restaurant in action- and decided it would make a fun painting subject. I forgot to take a photos of my progress, so no step-by-step on this watercolor. Sometimes I am in such a hurry to start painting that I just forget.
Thanks for looking!
Sheryl

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What an unusual building - and a very lovely watercolour.
    My first tutor used to paint local landmark scenes and then sell cards and prints of the same, at nearby locations. I wonder if that would work for this little beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sheryl,
    Happy New Year and What a beautiful work you made!! A person in the painting gives a heartwarming sense.
    Kind regards, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Pat and Sadami! I agree that a person in the painting really gives it life- they just aren't easy for me, so I keep practicing!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique landmark. What a great painting of it also!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!