Thursday, January 27, 2011

Seashell Trio- oils on canvas



I am finishing, one at a time, the oil paintings that I started earlier this week. Sometimes I find I get more done by starting a batch of paintings at once. If I prime multiple canvases, they are then ready to go and easy to start. No excuses. Painting on these small canvases is so fun, too!

The dark still life starts out on a canvas covered in dark (usually black) acrylic paint. It is faster and uses less of my more expensive oil paint. Then, I can mix my darks for the background- usually alizarin crimson, burnt umber, and ultramarine blue. For the beach/sand paintings, I usually start with a raw sienna mix. Then come the grains of sand, then the shells and beach glass. Some of my shells and fruits (cherries, pomegranates, etc.) get a pure black background to make them really stand out.

Time to go paint- I have more than a few paintings waiting in my studio!
Thanks for visiting-
Sheryl

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Shellie! I never seem to tire of painting shells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work, thanks for your comments on my blog. I will be back to see more of your wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I can just imagine them in a bathroom, all three in a row...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of beautiful seashells, I like it very much!
    Great job Sheryl!

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!