Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Wicker Bounty" Step 2


I started this watercolor by putting in a wash of Cobalt and Ultramarine Blue, working wet-on-wet. I am painting on 140 lb rough surface paper. I love the rough surface because I want that watercolor paper texture. Starting with some background color helped to define the white wicker. As usual, I couldn't wait to get to the details, so I jumped around a bit to get some colors on the paper.
I am using Payne's Gray to give the wicker some shape, but really want to not paint every separate piece of wicker. I want to show that it is wicker without getting too into detail like I usually do. I started with Sap Green and Chromium Oxide Green for the leafy greens. The reds are mixes of Cad Red and Thalo Red and the pots are Cad Red and Burnt Sienna.
My watercolor supply is a mixture of Windsor&Newton and Grumbacher, depending on the colors I want at the time and availability. I often order online and like to try out different brands of the same color. Basically, I use whichever color is working for me at the time and try not to get too stuck on a brand name unless there is a major difference.
Next, I will be continuing with my details and getting to the darks.
Thanks for looking!
Sheryl

8 comments:

  1. Looks good already Sheryl! I like your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dora- I tend to jump around a lot on the page, can't wait to see all the areas in color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good so far :)
    Sometimes a bit of jumping keeps you interested - which is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly, Pat- I need to jump around the painting!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the colors you used. I've been trying to keep notes on what colors I use in my paintings, making little swatches, etc. I do find that I refer back to them. Your painting is looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Gretchen- I didn't keep notes before, but do now that I am trying to explain what I do as I go its the only way. I like the way you make the swatches of color, too!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful start! Love your color choices.

    Question: do you stretch your paper? The reason I'm asking is because I've stretched some paper... and it still buckles if I use wet into wet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Teresa- I don't bother anymore either, for the same reason! It takes extra work and planning ahead (boo) and still buckles when you put on your washes.
    Also thanks for the compliment!
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!