Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers."-Claude Monet

watercolor, Radio Flyer garden
Angel Trumpets, watercolor
a bird's nest built in a tree rose
lilies in my Long Island garden

I have always enjoyed gardening -and it is so rewarding to see the finished garden as it grows and fills in the way I planned. When we moved back to California from Long Island, I had a blank canvas to fill with plants. I used many of the plants that worked in New York, as well as my California favorites. I even brought some of the awesome orange "wild" lilies from my Long Island garden- and for once, the deer wouldn't be eating them!
As an artist, one of the best things about a great garden, is all the possibilities for painting ideas. As plants begin to bloom in the Spring, and until everything is dying back in the Fall , I am taking photos. The garden is always changing, and I will never run out of garden reference photos.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog AND art!! I live on LI too!!! Where abouts are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I moved back to California, but lived in Islip Terrace for 15 years!
    Where are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, Hempstead in a shelter right now... but I miss Suffolk County something fierce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like it- especially the beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in Garden City, but you know how I love the beach at Pt. Lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    Airless Spray

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments- I love to hear what you think!